Friday 10 June 2011

Being Me

So... after journeying for weeks, nay months, on the long road to the recovery of my self-esteem I finally arrived in a good place. Here the sun shines most of the time and I can hear the birds singing. Actually when I'm merrily (and admittedly sometimes mindlessly, mostly tunelessly) chanting the Gayatri mantra or singing in the car they are barely audible, but I like to think I make up for their lack of volume with my own. I have built up a certain strength on this journey and I'm grateful (to me) for the opportunity to grow those muscles that I exercised so extensively earlier this year.

Some time at the end of the winter of discontent I upgraded my internal flicker of light to the eco equivalent of a 100w bulb. It was at this point along the way that I recognised the scenery and remembered that all I really need to do here on earth is just BE me. I don't need to DO, dare I say it, spiritual activities - whatever they are - in order to prove my worth. If I believe that I am a spiritual being having a human experience then I have done everything by remembering who I AM. The trick is to keep this memory alive and live with courage and total trust in the Universe.

All I need I have in this not so neat little package called me. It helps if someone is around to occasionally wipe a layer of ego dust from the bulb, but seeing as I have never been an accomplished domestic goddess I feel this to be a wholly acceptable shirking of responsibility! I know I'd probably benefit from a daily meditation or yoga practice, but right now I'm not practising anything other than BEING. I am clear in my mind that this is not because I am resisting, which previously has so often be the case, but because I've given myself permission to just let go...

I do indeed feel liberated!

Aum x

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachael! I totally agree with you. Actually I find it slightly uncomfortable to be with people who all the time go on about their practice of spiritual matters. I don't mind discussing them, as long as we can have our feet firmly planted on the earth. And actually doing, doing, doing becomes a habit and in my mind maybe an easy-to-follow, but rather empty shell of self-glorification. (Not referring to you at all, but being a complementary therapist, I have an abundant source of all types of spiritual people around me).
    So, well done and hope that you still practice noticing and being present, just as YOU, lovely you.

    ReplyDelete