Thursday 4 November 2010

Law of Attraction

Whilst out walking yesterday I got lost. I knew where I was going but I missed the wonder of nature as my left brain wandered off, wondering. The title of a friend's blog, coupled with meeting new people at the weekend, tripled with recent external events, and quadrupled with my own history, had got me thinking: What really attracts one human being to another and can we define that attraction?

We are often told that pheromones are key to sexual desire, but what about platonic friends, places, animals...?

How is it that I choose to make contact with one person over another in a room full of strangers? Is it the light we see emanating from the other? Recognition of a prenatal acquaintance? Are we vibrating at a similar frequency? I just don't know... I have a much loved friend who, in her own words, doesn't do deep. Aside from a shared sense of humour (is this the key?) she is my opposite in practically every other way. So is it balance? Are they the missing fraction of our whole self, filling our gaps at any particular time?

Is it looks, or memories - however distant - either positive or negative, that shape our current leanings? I spent much of my childhood in a house overlooking Romney Marsh - in my eyes a bleak and not very welcoming landscape. Home, where I feel comfortable, is in undulating countryside, near trees, with a preference for broad leafed varieties. I do not suffer from wanderlust yet I am inexplicably drawn to the life of Mongolian nomads, an existance as far removed from mine as I can imagine. Why?

When I was 7 a german shepherd ate my guinea pig. Though I love all dogs I have no desire to adopt an alsatian. Ever.

Aum x

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting post Rachel - makes me wonder and ask those questions too!! Do you think that what we get attracted to, in terms of people, places etc - might be more to do with what our soul needs to evolve and grow, to where we need to go, rather than where we come from? Just a thought....hmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neeta, I think you could be right about that which is presumably why we (I) outgrow people, things, interests...

    ReplyDelete